Friday, March 12, 2010

Listen up!

Welcome the newest Dez Bloger: McHuge on music.

The Arcade Fire- “Wake Up” from the album Funeral

While most people recognize this song from either Where the Wild Things are, or the Super Bowl, or every other commercial on TV now, this has been one of my favorite songs since the album was released in 2004. Not that I’m pissed that its all over TV, but I’m pissed that its all over TV… I know that makes me sound like a pretentious douche, but I’m here to talk about music, I have to be a little douchey. Everything about this song is just too catchy to not be everywhere. From the intro to the end, its almost impossible to not imagine giant monsters playing in the woods or the Saints embarrassing the Colts on National TV…



Local Natives- “Wide Eyes” from the album Gorilla Manor

Simply put, this song takes me right from six to midnight. What really staffs me about this song is that i first heard it on the album and thought there was no way it could possibly sound this good live. Holy shit was I wrong. Every performance of this song I have heard is spot on from the vocal harmonies to the instrumentation. These guys are currently one of my favorite bands and I can’t wait until they come around Boston so I can brag to them about this awesome blog entry and how I helped get them to stardom





New Radicals- “Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too” from the album Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

I know what you’re thinking… The New Whatnows? Bare with me… you might remember this one hit wonder from the late 90’s when they released “You Get What You Give”, you remember, they were in a shopping mall and all the mall rats put the business-types in cages …? Still nothing? It was totally on NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 2. Anyway, they broke up shortly after the release and dropped off the face of the earth. What you really have to do with this song is actually listen to the lyrics, typical I know. It’s something about the reverb in his voice that gives it a haunting effect or how goofy the lyrics get towards the end about making a dance called the baboon. You can’t really hate on him though this guy wrote “Game of Love” Santana and Michelle Branch, tacky I know, but it got him a Grammy. But do me a favor and just listen to the song once through and try not to think that he wrote “Game of Love”



Isles & Glaciers- “Viola Lion” from the album The Hearts Of Lonely People

This band is a scene kids wet dream. With members from Emarosa, Cinematic Sunrise, The Receiving End of Sirens, Pierce the Veil, Underminded, Chiodos, The Sound of Animals Fighting, Dance Gavin Dance, Boys Night Out, and Fordirelifesake. Christ this band is just vocal shred city. It’s embarrassing even trying to sing along to any part of this song. I just sing the guitar parts because it’s the only part where my terrible vocals sound anywhere close to what the song sounds like. While every song is just 3 minutes of hitting notes a man should never even come close to, the instrumentation is impressive to say the least. The only downside is that after the first two songs I find myself losing interest. Something about the constant high pitched vocal solos makes every song sound too similar and I would rather just listen to the members original bands.





-McHuge

click here for more McHuge blogz

No comments:

Post a Comment