Friday, April 2, 2010

Rocket Man





As I said the other day, I made the executive decision to skip my Thursday 1pm class to go see Hubble IMAX 3D at the aquarium.

I had been hyping this movie for the past month so it was strange to not have seen it for myself. The roomies and I had tried all week to find a time to go see it together but our schedules and the movie times never matched up.

Biting the bullet I went at it alone. It would be the first time I ever went to the movies by myself but I didn't care - I wasn't going to the movies. I was going to sppaaaacccceeeeeee.

I attended my first class of the morning at 10am, computer animation, because that class is awesome and I'd never skip it. Media critisim and theory on the other hand was getting the big "fuck you" today as it should every Tuesday/Thursday 1pm. Hopping on the inbound train I shimmied on over to government center. Since it was a beautiful day out I figured I had an hour to kill so I walked to the aquarium.

Tucked in my backpack was some precious cargo - extra "rocket fuel" if you know what I mean ;). A couple laps around Christopher Columbus Park and a couple dirty glares directed my way from other park goers I headed over to the IMAX.




It was about 12:45pm and I was 15 minutes early which was good because after my voyage around Chris Combs Park I had no concept of time (only space). 

Walked up to the counter and got me my ticket for $7 plus tax with my emerson I.D - helllll yaaaa. The counter lady told me they'd be letting us into the theater in about 5-10 mins and to go wait over by the window.

There were only 2 other people in line: a 5 or 6-year-old boy and his mum. I waited behind them.

Couple mins later a classic looking hipster showed up with his lady friend - more people who would be joining me on this epic journey to space. Little did they know I was already hovering well above our great planet at this time. More and more people trickled into the lobby. With about 7 mins to go I thought I shit myself but then looked up and saw an Indian family had sat down next to me.

At about 12:55pm all hell broke loose. Outside the windows I could see teachers trying to line up students. This could only mean one thing:

Field trip.

Lines on lines filed into the lobby. Droves of students, tourists, and Asians squeezed through the door. It was great. I had beaten the crowds by sheer coincidence and I was going to space with a bunch of middle scholars. I just needed one more thing to happen...

On cue the doors to the theater opened up. I had first dibs on any seat in the house; well, 3rd behind little kid and mother. I knew right where to sit. Where me and DJ sat for 3D Wave. (Row 6-8, seats 18-22. Sit here as long as you’re not going to the movies with me but if you are shotgun seat 19 no blitz)

The middle schools filed in. I sat in the middle. One of the lines of students led by a teacher filed into my row. Sitting next to the teacher during a movie on a field trip felt like the good old days when I'd be the first to get in trouble and be punished by not being able to sit with my friends.

The teacher and me talked a little. They were from Dudley, MA (which reminds me I need to invite Lindsay to be a fan of Deez) and it took them an hour and 35 mins to get here. I could only imagine the amount of truth or dare going down on that bus and how many underage and underdeveloped tits got felt up on the back of the bus. These kids were just as mature as I was in middle school.

The boys were deep throating their sticks of rock candy, the girls were all in a massive collective group, teachers tried endlessly to get everyone to behave.

The theater went dark. I silenced my phone and slipped on my 3D glasses. I was so ready.

You know its going to be a great day when the 3D opening credits are blowing your fucking mind. The movie opens up by showing the astronauts who will be fixing Hubble for the last time - foreplay if you will. 

Shows that. Shows Hubble. Shows space. You travel at 175 million light years per minute to get to our NEAREST neighboring galaxy. At one point you travel into a nebula. During this scene the kids sitting behind me said we "were moving so slow". On cue Leo DiCaprio (who narrates) reminds us that we are traveling at 5 million miles per second! I'm not going to go in-depth about the movie because trying to explain in words how incredible this movie is just makes zero sense.

But I will tell you this much. 



The last 7 to 10 minutes of this movie may be one of the greatest things I've ever seen..... behind only titsss of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment